Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 2, 2020

Sanditon - Jane Austen


Sanditon - Jane Austen

I have a confession to make. I’m not one to sit and watch period drama’s. Yes, I confess now. BUT……. this Autumn I will be sitting comfortably in front of the television to watch a new adaptation of an unfinished novel by Jane Austen. In January 1817, Jane began work on a new novel she called The Brothers, later titled Sanditon upon its first publication in 1925, and completed eleven chapters before stopping work in mid-March 1817, probably because her illness prevented her from continuing, called SANDITON.

Image result for sanditon itv

I was honoured on behalf of this publication, Valley Times to be invited last Friday to the EXCLUSIVE SCREENING of the first episode of Sanditon, a Red Planet and ITV production, hosted by The Soho Hotel, in, yes you guessed it, Soho in London.
Image result for soho hotel
The first episode took me by surprise as it’s witty, sexy, clever, well you do have the brilliant Andrew Davies as the writer, it’s also fast paced, with stunning surroundings, beautifully shot by the director, Olly Blackburn.
Image result for miss lamb sanditon itv
Image result for olly blackburn director sanditon
To get you in the mood for Sanditon, which I’m sure will be a HUGE hit, the female lead is played by Rose Williams, who plays Charlotte Heywood who’s excited by the promise of adventure that Sanditon offers. The innovative Tom Parker (Kris Marshall) and his wife, Mary, (Kate Ashfield), endeavour to put Sanditon on the map by making it a go-to holiday destination, which Charlotte is eager to be involved in with the development of the town.
Image result for olly blackburn director sanditon
Image result for kris marshall sanditon
Image result for kate ashfield sanditon itv
Along the way there’s also the canny and charming Lady Denham (Anne Reid), who I may add, was sitting behind me at the screening and said hello. She as Lady Denham has a sharp tongue and mind. She is loaded and she know’s that there are many after her money. Also, the first time Anne Reid came to my attention is when she was getting down with James Bond. Who remembers The Mother with Daniel Craig?
Image result for anne reid sanditon itv
As I have said, some are after Lady Denham’s fortune and one individual who is, is Edward Denham, (Jack Fox) who has an eye for women and his sole purpose is to ingratiate himself with Lady Denham and acquire her fortune. Edward, apart from a fascination with his main rival for the Denham fortune, Clara Brereton (Lily Sacofsy), also has to deal with a complex emotional manipulative relationship with his step-sister Esther Denham (Charlotte Spence) who is frank, has some great on-liners, has an unrequited love for Edward, and forms part of a toxic competition to win the favour and fortune of her aunt, Lady Denham.
Image result for james fox sanditon itv
Image result for Lily Sacofsky sanditon itv
Image result for Charlotte Spencer sanditon itv
Also, Miss Lambe, a powerful heiress (Crystal Clarke) who is headstrong and wilful heiress from the West Indies, has been bought to Sanditon to complete her education away from the temptations of London. And Tom’s unpredictable, but self made brother Sidney (Theo James) who is complex, slow to trust people, but loyal to his family, appear from the first episode who will no doubt cause some heart flutters along the way.
Image result for miss lamb sanditon itv
Image result for miss lamb sanditon itv
So, all I will say is to keep your eyes open for Sanditon, which begins on ITV this Autumn.
You will not be disappointed!

4 comments:

  1. This is the absolute best show I have ever seen. The cast chemistry; the settings; the clothing is out of this world. But, it ended on a cliff hanger which is not in true Jane Austen style. We are fighting for a HEA for our Hero & Heroine every single day to get more and complete the story!!! #SaveSanditon #Sanditon #SanditonPBS

    ReplyDelete
  2. antheahopper@gmail.comApril 30, 2020 at 6:06 PM

    Sanditon got straight to my heart, I couldn't even exactly pinpoint why : everything was there and the result was instant love. From the moment I realized there wasn't an episode 9 I became obsessed with it. Googling every fact, news, I was shoked when it was made clear ITV wasn't renewing it. For a moment they kept us dandling, pretending it was all up to the US viewers, but even it was a huge hit, the show got cancelled. This feels so unfair. They could at least have shot an alternative ending or this last episode we needed to get closure. The shock, I reckon comes from the knowledge we have of Jane Austen's work. There is not one chance she would have left it this way. In Jane's stories every character gets the ending they deserve. Charlotte and Sydney being the main characters, there is no way this would be it. It is not only unfair, unjust, it is treachery and it raises anger and resentment. So there's me, an otherwise perfectly normal middleaged woman, with a family to look after, a house to keep, a very demanding job, tweeting every night for hours, signing every petition, joining a wonderful community of sisters and brothers, just to get a season 2, as if it was something vital... and I must say, it has become vital for us. I don't mind being called shallow (or stupid), as there are so much more important causes. These people don't know me, they don't know what other causes I might also stand up for (also my understanding is quite ok too, thanks). Saving Sanditon is a good cause, because, as some physicians would say, your brain does not make a difference between reality and fiction when you watch a movie, and if you're hurting, it is true. The audience deserves to be considered, and deserves the happy ending the author intended and only got kept to deliver by death itself. The only reason preventint ITV from delivering the expected sequel is greed and contempt for its audience. It’s despicable to be that disrespectful. Also, broadcasting the show at an hour where no one is watching tv (Sundays 22:00 ! who does that ???) , without proper advertising doesn't seem the best way promoting something you're trying to sell, more something you were compelled to do, that you don't like and you want to burry.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a fan of Jane Austen, so when I heard a series was coming based on a book she started but didn't finish, I could not wait. Once I watched the story, I was hooked. The setting is fresh and unique. I love the various characters, but I especially love the main characters Charlotte and Sidney. Their personal character developments through the story are relatable and real,(especially Sidney's) which makes you fall in love with them and feel their palpable heartbreak. The onscreen chemistry between Rose and Theo is mesmerizing. I love how Andrew Davies took a bolder twist to the story than Jane might have included, but yet it still has her voice in it. Unfortunately, the series was canceled before it even got off the ground, so the ending is not how Andrew Davies intended it. More importantly, it is not true to the Jane Austen label it carries. Jane ALWAYS made sure her heroines were happy by the story's end. What we're left with instead is a tragedy. Jane didn't write tragedies. So, I think it is disrespectful to her memory and to Andrew Davies talent as well as to the expectant audience to leave the series as it is. So many viewers like myself have fallen in love with the story and are desperate for not only it's proper Happily Ever After conclusion, but as we've become invested in the love story we want to know more about the rest of the supporting characters and how their situations resolve as well.

    I believe it is the responsibility of the production team to honor the expectations they set their audience up for. It is an unspoken trust they have with their viewers. I feel betrayed. I upheld my end of the bargain. I fell for their seduction in making me interested in the story and I watched with baited breath from week to week. But they didn't deliver on their unspoken promise. They gave me half of what we agreed on. I am here to claim the other half of our 'bargain.' #SaveSanditon #Sanditon #SanditonPBS - RareWoman/@OnlyOutlander on Twitter

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love Sanditon!. Obsessed you could say. I'd own that. There's just so much to love.
    The characters,the stories, their chemistry. The dialogue. Some beautiful lines. The costumes, the scenery, even the music! I do believe I could rave on & on about Sanditon.
    We are populating a huge following, growing by the minute with a petition of 56k+ and counting. We want our HEA! Join the Sanditonsisterhood on twitter and fight alongside this beauty to get our S2.

    ReplyDelete