Total Pageviews

Friday, March 27, 2020

Read the first TWO chapters of 24 Hours In New York and Download the Full Book for FREE!


24 Hours In New York


24 HOURS IN NEW YORK: An American Dream



SEVEN ZERO

I looked up at the two digits above the front door.
Seven. Zero.

The familiar numbers set behind a pane of glass that retained a long-standing crack stretched across the zero, were lodged inside a small box, embedded within the white painted wall.

But I hadn’t thought I’d be looking at them again quite so soon. 

Pressing the enamel doorbell, which was encircled by a rusty silver frame, I looked down at the well-trodden welcome mat beneath my black shoes and studied the loose fibres detaching themselves in all directions as I anxiously wiped my worn, now well-travelled leather soles.

Twelve seconds later the silhouette of a figure appeared behind the door which then started to swing backwards.

As it disappeared into the shadow of the hallway, a face emerged, bathed in a golden glow as, at that moment, the sun escaped from behind the clouds above. 

It was Dad. 

‘Hello David,’ he said, shaking his head, with an animated smile.

All I noticed however, was what was hidden behind his welcoming facial expression.

His kind eyes telling me,

‘I knew this was going to happen.’


HOLLYWOOD

Have you ever fantasised about becoming a Hollywood superstar? A Hollywood actor? To be famous. To be loved. Adored by millions. To be worth millions. To see your name in lights. Being photographed on the red carpet. I bet you have. I know I have. Hundreds of times. Is that shallow? Shallow of me to want that fame and the riches that come with it. You could say I was a dreamer, people have suggested that many times, but dreams do come true, don’t they?

I was seduced by the romance of Hollywood whilst watching many American shows such as Dallas, Dynasty and The Colby’s and I wanted to be a part of it. To be watched by millions of adoring fans on their screens, in the corner of their living rooms, in their homes around the world. If English born Michael Praed could crack America as Prince Michael of Moldavia in 
Dynasty, then why not me? I was told on many occasions that I resembled him, with the same good-looking features and the long shiny hair, but they were the only similarities. He could act. I couldn’t. I’ve never acted. Apart from in life itself.

But I wanted to conquer the good old US of A. My greatest desire was to be part of what I 
was watching on the screen in front of me. At the age of ten I was already star struck, with James Bond being my very first hero. I wanted to be like him. I was a huge 007 fan and even made my own James Bond briefcase. It was a brown leather case with the flap and lock at the front, one that Dad no longer required. There I was at such a tender age thinking that I was Bond. A spy with my James Bond case, full of homemade secret agent equipment. I’m certain Q would not have been enamoured however with my cardboard gadgets. So just hitting double figures in age, I was acting in my own world and I wanted Hollywood.

And I was determined to fulfil my dream. To turn my dream into a reality.

Was I just crazy?

I’m sure my family thought I was crazy. Who am I kidding? That’s exactly what they thought. Me, a Jewish kid who lived in a modest house with Mum, Dad, four brothers and a sister in a residential road in Edgware, North West London thinking that I could make it big in Hollywood. Maybe I was influenced by the first couple of jobs I had. At the age of fourteen I’d had a weekend job at a salon called Manhattans on the high street. I hated the people I worked with there, they treated me like shit and gave me a nickname, Cute but Dumb. My first nickname had been Muttley, given to me by a school friend. I’d hoped it had something to do with my surname and not that I resembled the dog from the cartoon, ‘Dastardly and Muttley.’ A few years later, my first full time job was as an estate agent with a company called Liberty Estates in Burnt Oak.

I always wondered if I was destined for America. 

So, with years of dreaming behind me, at the age of nineteen and without telling a single soul, not even Mum or Dad, I decided that I was going to book my dream ticket to America.

Cute but Dumb, I’ll let you decide.

Download FULL BOOK for FREE 24 Hours In New York

No comments:

Post a Comment